Plús Hús is an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) design service
Plús Hús Founders: Erla Dögg Ingjaldsdóttir & Tryggvi Thorsteinsson
Article Name suggestions:
Plús Hús Turns Your Backyard into an ADU Oasis
Business Name and what it does
Plús Hús is an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) design service that offers simple, efficient, multi-purposed structure designed to allow anyone to add an environmentally responsible space to their property.
As we are Icelandic natives and custom home creators, our origins encourage us to make spaces that are sustainable, high functioning and flexible. As Los Angeles, California residents, we are deeply committed to addressing our city’s housing crisis needs and created Plús Hús for people who want to make a difference from their own backyard.
Built with revolutionary sustainable building material, mnmMOD, Plús Hús is manufactured here in Los Angeles, and far more durable, more energy efficient and better for your health than traditional wood construction. Utilizing mnmMOD prefab panels allows for us to eliminate the immense waste associated with traditional construction.
Founder’s/Owner’s story and what motivated them to start the business
Minarc Group is a collective group of subsidiaries that bring thoughtful, modern design to an international landscape. Under the helm of Erla Dögg Ingjaldsdóttir & Tryggvi Thorsteinsson, Minarc Group is a trailblazer in the creative minimalism movement by continuing to craft spaces that not only bring the outdoors in, but inspire intentional living and conscious lifestyles. The motivation to design came from our understanding and critical need for change to support the environment and healthy living standards.
Under the umbrella of Minarc Group, the studio is comprised of Minarc, mnmMOD Plús Hús and ERLA Construction, which seamlessly translates into a holistic, environmentally aware approach that is perfectly tailored to the needs of their clientele. The elements of Minarc Group include:
- Minarc: an award winning design studio recognized internationally for its unique approach, one which embraces contemporary design and employs innovative materials and technology. Ranging from small-scale renovations and new construction to in-residential spaces, commercial and public settings, Minarc is a full service design studio that not only creates beautiful spaces, but puts sustainability at the forefront of their mission.
- mnmMOD: is a prefabricated panel system that provides the structure and insulation (replacing traditional wood framing) which you can clad with any exterior and interior finishes you want. Using mnmMOD speeds up the building process and in the long run you’ll save in energy bills and maintenance since mnmMOD panels don’t mold, support fire, get termites or warp.
- Plús Hús: Developed by Minarc founders, Erla Dögg and Tryggvi, Plús Hús is an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) design service that offers simple, efficient, multi-purposed structure designed to let anyone add an environmentally responsible space to their property.
- ERLA Construction: Founded by Erla Dögg, ERLA Construction is a full service general contracting firm. Their values are founded on integrity, dedication to clientele, and an unconditional commitment to the highest quality in the implementation of projects. By forging relationships based on teamwork and smooth project execution, ERLA Construction contributes a unique hands-on approach resulting in the success of our projects and continuously strives to be a forerunner in the interest of sustainability.
The challenges the business/market is facing
Such is life, nothing is ever smooth nor do we feel it should be. This allows for evolution and persistent growth. As business owners, we embrace the experiences in which we can learn from and continue to evolve and develop as individuals and within our companies. We learn from each instance and are consistently striving to do better.
In terms of Plus Hus and our clients, one of the biggest challenges that homeowners are faced with building ADU’s is that of government approval, permitting and lead times. Plús Hús is excited to be a part of the shift in working to change that. Us as founders have been asked to speak on panels in other Cities to discuss our expertise of ADU’s. The City of Los Angeles has been ahead of the curve on this one, and we are honored to share our knowledge and experience in order to better prepare architects and designers in other cities such as Miami, Florida and more.
Plús Hús has been pre-approved as one of Los Angeles’ Standard ADU’s within their new Standard Plan Program. The recently introduced Standard Plan Program allows for us to offer a pre-approved unit, our 320 sq ft studio with kitchenette and bathroom at 16’ x 20’, within compliance of all required City Building, Residential and Green Codes. This enables us to expedite the permitting process and eliminate longer turnaround times. We offer a standard 320 sq ft pre-approved unit, or work together with clients on custom projects and builds, including, but not limited to: 1-bedroom units, 2-story layouts with roof deck options up to 800 sq ft pending local codes, and more.
The opportunities the business/market is facing
We feel as though many people used to view their homes as places of rest and play, however, the last few years have forced us to flex the utility of our homes. As lifestyles changed, the needs fulfilled by our homes did too. We have seen a significant increase in the interest of ADU’s in general. Plús Hús clients are those looking to add a home office, or simply a separate guest house allowing for family and friends to visit more frequently, to a completely private gym and/or yoga studio for ones no longer interested in belonging to a public gym and paying monthly gym membership fees, as well as those seeking additional subsidized income by renting the space for either short or long term.
Each day is a new opportunity and as the impact and importance of ADU’s for communities continues to rise, while local restrictions and City codes ease up, we are eager to continue reaching as many people as possible.
Advice to others about business
Stay persistent, continue exploring and creating new ways to forge the path forward. Consistently pursue better ways to further evolve as business owners, individuals and leaders. Working together with your team and employees is essential to the success and beating heart of any business.
- SOL SEMILLA-A french superfood company : Seeds of the sun - January 23, 2023
- FINELLI GROUP which is the owner of the Nik Cafe ‘brand – producing the blends created, to give everyone the opportunity to enjoy an exclusive quality Italian coffee - November 1, 2022
- CBD Vape Juice - October 17, 2022